I so often have this pulled up on a Word document on my computer that I have decided to commit to it here. It is my happy place. It’s a place that helps me see that life is a series of adventures, big and small. As simple as a dish of Peking Duck or as big as hiking on the Great Wall of China (or, more intimidating to me, Canoeing the Boundary Waters).
It was inspired initially by Maggie from Mighty Girl, but not wanting to feel any pressure about it, I just have it around and look at it from time to time. I also have had a few wonderful conversations with good friends and family about it, which is cool, too, because it has brought some things to the fore when others have said “Me too! Me too!”
So, without further ado. Here it is, for now. I expect to continue to knock things off and add things on as the great world spins, but it makes me happy, and that’s really all I need right now. In no particular order:
- Safari, Karen Blixen-style, in Africa
- See the salmon run in Alaska
- See Cuba
- Island hop in Greece
- Go a multi-day biking trip somewhere rolly and pleasant and filled with wine—Bordeaux? Tuscany?
- Write a novel
- Start with a few short stories
- Be conversational in another language. Start with Spanish. Then, be at least restaurant/taxi conversational in French.
- Set foot in all 7 continents: 1. Africa 2. Antarctica 3.
Australia4. Europe5. North America6. South America 7. Asia.
- Visit (at least have a meal in, preferably stay overnight) in all 50 states. States left: 1. Alabama 2. Oklahoma 3. Idaho 4. Alaska
- Go for a hike along the Great Wall of China
- Go clamming
- Make a lovely, peaceful living space
- Wear a large hat at the Kentucky Derby
- Remove money as a concern
- Take a two week vacation without computers
- Belize Navidad
- Become scuba certified
- Go deep sea fishing, grill what I catch
- Hike or raft into the Grand Canyon—stay several days
- Go hiking on the Pacific Crest Trail and stay at least one night
- Ski in Jackson Hole
- Dinner at the French Laundry
- Organize my photos into something
- Have a family portrait done that I like
- Live in another country
- Sleep in a treehouse
- Learn to use my camera and then use it more often
- Learn to do a two-finger whistle and whistle for a cab
30. Can my vegetablesDone, July/August 2013—started with bread and butter pickles, then dills—then, who knows? Very satisfying.
- Get drunk enough and sing Ignition Remix at a karaoke bar (second choice: Kelly Clarkson’s Stronger)
- Finish Alex’s college sweater
- Eat roast chicken at Chez L’Ami Louis in Paris
- Explore Hungary and Slovenia: 1. Stay overnight on the Danube 2. Drink Tokaj in a cave
- Do the Vineman Half Ironman in Sonoma
- Sip Whiskey on the Isle of Man (preferably with Ralfy)
- See the goddamned Cliffs of Moher
- Do a wine stomp somewhere
- Go fly fishing on the Irati River in Basque Country
- Learn to play the piano well enough to play 1. Rhapsody in Blue 2. Linus and Lucy from A Charlie Brown’s Christmas, 3. Clair de Lune and 4. River
- Go white water rafting/glamping with fabulous dinners in Idaho
- Canoe the Boundary Waters
- See the Northern Lights and bathe in a hot spring in Iceland
- Make croissants by hand, the right way
- Zydeco Horseback trek in the woods of Louisiana
- Do the Bourbon Trail
- Write and publish an article about our Artist Way group
Eat Peking Duck at Sun Wah BBQDone, August 2013—exactly as wonderful as I’d hoped. Went back in November 2013, too.
- Go skiing in Chile
- Do a zipline, not in the continental US
- See Graceland
- Ski/visit Banff
- Take the TransCanada Railway across the prairie and mountains
- Eat oysters watching the tide rise and fall in the Bay of Fundy
55. Visit the Apostle Islands in WisconsinDone, 7/2/13 Madeline Island, anyway, for a couple of hours. Would love to go back and spend more time there.
- Ski Bohemia in the U.P.
- Go to the Pinot/Salmon festival in Oregon
- Stay at the Ahwahnee Hotel in Yosemite and go hiking in the park